Whether they’re a delicious breakfast, snack or dessert, these moist Carrot Cake Muffins will be the best food you’ve put in your mouth all day. With smooth cream cheese filling inside and crunchy cinnamon streusel on top, I can’t decide which is my favorite part!
For Carrot Cake Muffins:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2–3 medium carrots)
For cream cheese filling:
- 10 ounce cream cheese-softened
- 1/4 cup+1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 /2 cup unsalted butter-melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 Teaspoon milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, line standard cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
- To make streusel topping in a medium bowl stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt, add 1 /2 cup melted unsalted butter melted and stir it with a fork until crumbly, set aside.
- To make the filling beat the cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until smooth, set aside.
- To make the muffins, in a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients listed for the muffins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, water and oil.
- Stir the egg mixture into dry ingredients, then fold in grated carrots and stir well to combine..
- Drop about 1 1/2-2 Tablespoons of the batter into each cup and spread to cover the bottom, then place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling, cover with carrot batter to fill the cups 3/4 full, then top with streusel topping and bake about 20 minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the cake (not cream cheese filling) comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes in the pan then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, stir well 1 tablespoon milk with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and drizzle over the muffins before serving.