Delicious breakfast, snacks or dessert, these moist Carrot Cake Muffins have smooth cream cheese filling inside and crunchy cinnamon streusel on top, I can’t decide which is my favorite part.
For Carrot Cake Muffins:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2-3 medium carrots)
For cream cheese filling:
- 10 ounce cream cheese-softened
- 1/4 cup+1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For Streusel Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 /2 cup unsalted butter-melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 Teaspoon milk
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, line standard cupcake pan with paper liners and set aside.
- To make streusel topping in a medium bowl stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt, add 1 /2 cup melted unsalted butter melted and stir it with a fork until crumbly, set aside.
- To make the filling beat the cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until smooth, set aside.
- To make the muffins, in a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients listed for the muffins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, water and oil.
- Stir the egg mixture into dry ingredients, then fold in grated carrots and stir well to combine..
- Drop about 1 1/2-2 Tablespoons of the batter into each cup and spread to cover the bottom, then place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling, cover with carrot batter to fill the cups 3/4 full, then top with streusel topping and bake about 20 minutes, until the toothpick inserted in the cake (not cream cheese filling) comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, let them cool for 10 minutes in the pan then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, stir well 1 tablespoon milk with 1/4 cup powdered sugar and drizzle over the muffins before serving.