Homemade Carrot Cake Banana Bread is melt-in-your-mouth-moist, flavorful, and you can’t even tell that there are carrots in it. A whole wheat bread recipe with bananas, carrots, and nuts is a real energy bomb and a great excuse to have a slice of cake for breakfast!
- 2 medium ripe banana-mashed
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (save about 2 Tablespoons for topping)
For the frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese-softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 8×4 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together dry ingredients :whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together mashed banana, sugar, eggs and vanilla until well combined, then add oil and milk and whisk well, and fold in carrots.
- Add wet ingredients mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Fold in chopped walnuts or pecans and pour into loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes (until the toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove bread from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon on medium speed until smooth (for 1-2 minutes). Spread over cooled bread and sprinkle with chopped pecans.