This Basic Sugar Cookie recipe is classic, and it’s my favorite go-to dessert recipe. These easy, soft sugar cookies go amazingly with Nutella, frosting, and pretty much everything else!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour and baking powder, set aside.
- With an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together until it become light and fluffy, than add egg and vanilla and continue mixing about 1-2 minute.
- Flour mixture add slowly, about a cup at a time and mix until dough forms and begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Gather up dough and knead it with hands a few times.
- Roll the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about 2 hours.If it’s too hard when you take it out the fridge, just leave it out on the counter a little bit to softens up.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F and line large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Take out about half of the dough, and the rest leave in the fridge until it’s ready to use.
- Between two parchment paper, roll out the dough about 1/3 of an inch thick.
- With cookie cuter cut out cookies, transfer them on a cookie sheet and place it in the freezer for about 3 minutes before you place them in the oven( that helps the cookies to keep their shape while baking).
- Baking times really depend on size of a cookie. The cookies size about 2-2 1/2 inches need about 8 minutes.
- After take them out from the oven let them sit on the warm pan for a couple of minutes to firm up.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the cookie dough.
- Number of cookies really varies, depending on the size of cookie cuter and thickness of the dough !!! (about 30 2 1/2 inch cookies)