This Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cake recipe is a simple combo of nutritious ingredients, that will provide you with proteins and fibers to gain the strength and energy you need for hectic mornings! These easy breakfast bars can be eaten on the go, or packed as a healthy snack for your kids!
- 1 and 1/3 cups rolled oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter-softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium bananas-mashed (1 cup)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1–2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour 8 x 8 inch pan, set aside.
- To make the topping whisk together 2/3 cup rolled oats, 2/3 cup coconut, cinnamon and brown sugar. Add melted butter and stir with a fork until evenly moistened and crumbly. Set aside.
- To make the cake whisk together rolled oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix to combine. Mix in mashed bananas.
- Running mixer on low speed gradually mix in dry ingredients mixture just to combine. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture in the pan and sprinkle with prepared topping. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (but don’t dry it too much).
- Slightly cool before serving.
If you want to make ahead for breakfast, cover cooled cake tightly and keep at room temperature overnight. It can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days, or in the freezer for longer storage.