Apple Pecan French Toast Cups are basically all of the goodness of French toast, cut in small pieces and packed in small cups filled with sweet apple pie filling and irresistible, crunchy pecan topping.
- 2 medium apples chopped in small pieces
- 2 ½ Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 2 Tablespoons water (or more if needed)
- 4 cups French bread cut in small ½ inch cubes
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup cream
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoons nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a saucepan combine chopped apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, spices, and corn starch. Stir to combine and cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the apples are slightly softened. Add 1 Tablespoon of water at the time if needed. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the bread in small ½ inch cubes and place in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cream, vanilla, and spices, pour over bread cubes, and stir. Set aside for 15 minutes to soak, stirring occasionally.
- To make the topping stir together melted butter, maple syrup, and chopped pecans, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line standard muffin pan with parchment paper (make tulip wraps). This recipe makes 10 cups. Fill each pan cavity almost to the top of the pan, then gently press with the back of the spoon to make the dent in the center.
- Top with apple filling and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and spoon pecan topping over each cup. Bake for 12-15 more minutes or until the edges have set and the tops are golden brown.
- Serve with more maple syrup or whipped cream if desired.