Chocolate Cake with 12 layers of smooth chocolate filling, 12 layers of moist and rich chocolate cake, topped off with a layer of silky semisweet chocolate ganache!
For Chocolate Cake:
- 1 ¾ cups unsalted butter-softened
- 4 ½ cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups cocoa powder
- 4 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup + 2.5 Tablespoons cold coffee
- 1 cup + 2.5 Tablespoons milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
For Chocolate Filling:
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups + 2.5 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate- chopped in small pieces
- 5 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped in small pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Spray two 9 x 3-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with circles of parchment paper, spray the paper and set aside.
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt) and set aside.
- Combine cold coffee, milk and vanilla extract, set aside, too.
- In a mixing bowl at medium speed, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time and mix to combine.
- Running mixer on low speed, alternately mix in dry and wet ingredients (starting and ending with the dry ingredients).
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans, smooth the tops and bake at 325 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes completely in the fridge.
To make Chocolate Filling:
- Mix flour and sugar together and set aside.
- Mix one cup of cold milk with the corn starch and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix eggs and set aside.
- Bring heavy cream and one cup milk to a boil.
- Temper the eggs by slowly whisking in about half of the boiling milk and cream mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and then pour the tempered eggs back into the remaining milk mixture.
- While simmering, add the sugar and flour mixture.
- Add the cornstarch slurry, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the chocolate, remove from heat, let it sit for a few minutes then stir until all the chocolate has melted.
- With a hand mixer, beat the custard for a couple of minutes and chill in an ice bath.
Assembling the cake:
- Cut off the tops of cakes to make flat surface and save the tops to make the crumbs for decoration.
- Next cut each cake into six even layers.
- Place thickest layer on the plate. Place ring from 9-inch springform pan around the cake.
- Spread thin layer of chocolate filling, then place next cake layer. Continue with the following layers. If you have two 9-inch rings from springform pan you can assemble separately two cakes with 12 layers. Chill the cakes in the freezer for 1 hour and then stack the cakes to one another.
- Chill the cake until filling is firm, remove the rings from springform pan and spread on the outside of cake.
- Spread cake crumbs on custard to decorate the cake.
- To make chocolate ganache pour boiling heavy cream over chocolate and let it sit for a few minutes, then stir until it’s smooth and silky. Spread on top of the cake.