02.12.2013. | Category: Vera's Recipes
I must admit that I never considered myself a „cake master“. Whenever I looked at those beautiful photos of cakes on the Internet, I would always think to myself: „No way, Vera, you cannot do this, it is too complicated. You are not up to this task“. But you have to start somewhere, you must take the risk of throwing away a few cake layers or make the filling twice!
Since I made a beautiful chocolate cake for my birthday, to the delight of my guests, I began to think more often of a cake challenge. OK, maybe my cake was not the most pleasing to the eye, but it was extremely delicious.
And so, a few days ago, I found a new inspiration – Tuxedo cake. The recipe was reminiscent of my last cake, but it was different enough to me and it looked very delicious. The only thing left was to think of a reason to bake this chocolate dessert and go to work. After a lot of thinking, it simply came to me: “why must there be a reason? We will simply all enjoy a quality piece of chocolate cake and that’s it”.
Of course, it couldn’t go all the way without problems. This time, the victim was a freshly baked cake layer, which finished on the kitchen floor because of my clumsy hands. The rest of the work went very smoothly, so the white chocolate filling had more luck than the poor layer :).
And so, in the blink of an eye, my new chocolate cake was finished and had a magical swirled chocolate topping. Of course, it still looked nothing like the beautiful cakes on the photos which you can find on Pinterest, but my conclusion was: My tuxedo cake was a really decent cake. And the taste was fantastic again!
That left my inmates, by no fault of theirs, to enjoy this beautiful chocolate taste and I was encouraged to continue my experiments with cakes. We will see how it goes next time :)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 10 oz finally chopped semisweet baking chocolate
- 6 oz white chocolate-chopped
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup powder sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 1 tbs cocoa
- 4 oz semisweet baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 oz white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour three 8 inch round baking pans.
- In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Add brewed coffee
- Divide batter into 3 prepared pans and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pans, than remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.
- Melt semisweet chocolate and set aside to cool to room temperature
- Melt white chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Beat whipped cream and gradually add powder sugar while mixing.
- Add cream cheese and beat well until it’s evenly combine.
- Divide the mixture, in ⅓ add melted white chocolate and in ⅔ mixture add semisweet chocolate and cocoa and mix well.
- Fill the cake, on first two layer spread first white chocolate filing than with brown filling, frost with brown filling and cover with 4 oz chocolate melted with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, drizzle with 1 oz white chocolate melted with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and make a swirl with a toothpick.
- Set in a fridge to cool completely.